Wednesday, 23 December 2009
Time to do underneath the car, mainly under the 4 arches and the axle tunnel. So far i got one side finished. I got 6 (1KG)tins of 3M black stone chip which should help protect the fiberglass tub from flying stones.
I also got the Farcela G6 today so plenty of time over xmas will be spent sanding and buffing the shell, then I'll tackle the doors bonnet and boot.
One thing for sure you don't want to be standing still in the workshop to long with this weather, its been white around here for a few days now :)
Monday, 21 December 2009
Decided this evening to fill the roll hoops with foam and leave them for a day, then go back and remove any excess. Best thing to do with expanding foam is use it and leave, its very sticky and messy in liquid form :)
With the hoops done I decided to meaure and drill the holes in the shell for the harness anchor points.
The G6 didnt come in to the motor factors today so hopefully tmw as I would like to get the main part of the shell buffed up to a mirror finish.
Next on the list of jobs will be to tackle under the arches and inner wings, coating them with stone chip to protect the glass fiber from stones pleting those areas.
Sunday, 20 December 2009
It was hard to get into the swing of things today, I got up, looked outside and the place was white :) with snow. Managed after a couple of cups of coffee to get ventured out into the workshop.
I got stuck into the doors and boot today sanding down the edges with a file to remove the mould lines. Took a picture but its hard to get a good picture. One thing that i notice happening, when the mould edges are filed and sanded there still seems to be pinholes here and there, they look worse than they are when they fill with rubbing compound :(
They are really small but plenty of them, not sure on a solution, any ideas ??
Tmw should see all the edges finished from a filing and sanding point of view, there are a few bits on the doors that will need some gel but I'll get to that at a later date,
Saturday, 19 December 2009
Well another few days and a wee bit more done, forgot to add a pic of the metal work sprayed so added it this time.
The sanding and buffing of the shell is moving on slowly, i,m waiting on my supplier getting in some Farcela G6 as I only have g3 here and its really not up to the job at this point, just takes way to long.
So while waiting on the G6 to arrive I started to do the bonnet and door mould edges. I started removing the edge with a file until it was well down then just used some 400 and 800 grit to finish of before the 1500 and G3 to bring up a nice shine.
So far so good and not many problems though there will be a few areas that will need some gel repairs which will take a while.
OOOOOOooo and its soooooo cold today lol
Tuesday, 15 December 2009
Time flies by and I have not updated the blog in 2 months, thats bad. Other things took over for a while and not much was done :(
Anyways the metal work has now all been top coated and put away until its needed.
The shell I started to get into but soon realised it was going to be a long haul job finishing it, the previous sanding of the flash lines left some deepish scratch marks. To remove these plenty of sanding will be required with 1500 and 2000 grit around these areas, Then it will require loads of buffing
The snag in this will be, once these areas are sanded and made mirror flat the rest of the shell will seem a tad rippley even though its very minor. So in order to get it perfect the whole shell will need flatted with 2000 and buffed.
Well on the bright side its a very good way to get rid of the extra calories we all consume at this time of the year :)